Updated: Feb 11
If you haven't completed Stormblood DO NOT read past this unless you like having spoilers. Of course, if you haven't finished ARR or Heavensward either probably don't read on. This is a COMPILATION of "easter eggs" that are "likely" because of course unless Yoshi-P comes out and says it - It's just speculation!
Some of the screenshots are not mine, and if they aren't mine - I will endeavor to actually link back to the site and of course cite all sources where possible. Usually i'll link to a source for the pop culture or easter egg, unless it's blatant then you can google it. I may go back through and add some more later as I roll through edits.
* As of Weds Feb 10 2021 at 19:50 PM *(7:50PM) - I had to pre-publish this so I could actually help credit users of websites, and twitter users. You'll note after this i'll be still working on this tonight and maybe days to come - There will be a SECTION Based link here later to get to the FULL edits list. (I'll even try and learn how to do a SECTION list so you're not lost!)
* Again at this time of writing Shadowbringers is excluded
Final Fantasy Series basic easter eggs:
No no, this is a POST ABOUT THE REAL EASTER EGGS! The MEATY, THE GEEKY AND THE NERDY!
* Terra's Theme is the one played when you get a MAGITEK Mount - which i beleive the first time you get this is near the end of ARR. For Reference TERRA is the main character in Final Fantasy SIX JP and Final Fantasy 3 USA. I am unaware if the non US english releases followed the same numbering.
* There are MULTIPLE FF 11 / FFXI and Lightning crossover fates - I don't know the confirmation on this because well i've never played those titles at this stage of my life. (I'm going by research)
* SESAME COOKIE ITEM DESCRIPTION (Because I Don't remember where you get this item from.) Tales of a blue monster who greedily devours these baked delights have frightened children across the realm for generations. - This is a SESAME STREET COOKIE MONSTER REFERENCE.
* Pulling Straws: resticks55
4 years ago
When I saw her, I thought the Goldsmith guild master Serendipity was a dig a Rarity with the purple hair and the fact jewels are involved, but I could be wrong.
4 years ago
I can guarantee you that's not a pony reference.
* Stan lee/Marvel reference cid calls he's new ship Excelsior! (OR this is a Star Trek reference. I have a feeling it's less "TO EXCELSIOR AND BEYOND" and more Star Trek lol.) https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Excelsior_class
- This is confirmed to be more in the realm of Star Trek with this forums post: https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/242609-References-in-Heavensward?p=3099750&viewfull=1#post3099750
A REALM REBORN EASTER EGGS (2.0) -
Into Frank Zappa? https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Overnight_Migration - Found from this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/4ksxzp/littleacknowledged_localization_team_cultural/ - It could also be TWISTA 's 2000's song but i just remembered that wasn't overnight sensation it was overnight celebrity LOL
NPC in Camp Drybone - named ERMEGARDE. Possibly a reference to the Goosebumps book nerd meme "ER MAH GERD".
"THE ANSWER IS 42" - https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/960613-final-fantasy-xiv-online/56369290 - A random note about the Pugilist Guild in Ul'dah with the Mammet here.
"The Big Bagoly Theory" - The Big Bang Theory, this was picked up by Gamer FAQ forums. I'm sure I noticed this, but again i'm just in Shadowbringers now. https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/678050-final-fantasy-xiv-online-a-realm-reborn/75571407 (User: Leon Leonhart)
LEVEL 32 FATE - IT'S NOT LUPUS - https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/It%27s_Not_Lupus - Scraping the forums at GamerFaq you'll note the blaring HOUSE reference. Thank you to Gamemaster64 for this one! https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3cfetv/pop_culture_references_in_ffxiv/csuzgn4/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3 " My favorite is still the Cancer FATE It's Not Lupis followed by the Remission achievement. Too bad it didn't drop a House minion with a cane that insults you in combat. "
"Blood, Augur, Hex, Magicks" - A nod to "BLOOD SUGAR SEX MAGIK" - A 1991 Red Hot Chili Pepper's Album. https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Blood,_Augur,_Hex,_Magicks
Not sure what level this one is but https://www.ign.com/wikis/ff14/Notorious_Biggs - This is a BIGGS quest in MSQ. "NOTORIUS BIG" was a Rapper in the 1990s. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Notorious_B.I.G. - RIP Good sir, you still "HYPNOTIZE" Me through my 30s!
"A MAN RIDES TRHOUGH" https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/A_Man_Rides_Through
This is a LEVEL 40 FATE QUEST Nodding to: A book by Stephen Donaldson, A Man Rides Through.
"LOVE ME SABOTENDER" - https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1lblm3/how_to_get_cactuar_minion_zombies_are_people_too/ - "Love me sabotender, love me sweet. Never let me chocobo. ♪ You have made my life complete. And I love you kupo! ♫" - https://twitter.com/RPGMoogle/status/1067589348919574533 - This is a nod to an ELVIS PRESLEY hit song.
SIDE QUESTS (44) - "Doubt thou the stars are fire,
Doubt that the sun doth move,
But never doubt I love." - SHAKESPEARE - HAMLET.
LEVEL 49 FATE - Go, Go, Gorgimera = Go,Go, Power Rangers? Not sure on this one.
LEVEL 50 PRIMAL QUEST: "QUAKE ME UP" https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/quest/aac88614d57/ - "WAKE ME UP BEFORE YOU GO GO DON'T LEAVE ME HANGING ON LIKE A YO YO" - It's a George Michael/ WHAM Reference. Song was out in the early 1980s.
LEVEL 50 PRIMAL QUEST" DROP DEAD SHIVA: You're battling the PRIMAL SHIVA - under the quest "DROP DEAD SHIVA" this isn't a nod to "OH JUST GO DROP DEAD" Phrasing, but more so the 90s cult classic "DROP DEAD FRED". https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Drop_Dead_Shiva " An unhappy housewife (Phoebe Cates) gets a lift from the return of her imaginary childhood friend, Drop Dead Fred (Rik Mayall). " https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101775/ R.I.P Rick Mayall, some of us yankees will ever know you as Fred making all those hilarious british styled insults and making them seem so innocent.
LEVEL 50 PRIMAL QUEST "IFRIT BLEEDS: WE KILL IT" - "If it bleeds, we kill it" is a nod to the 1987 CULT SCI FI HORROR CLASSIC - PREDATOR. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNr0WXQ3Ho4 / https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Ifrit_Bleeds,_We_Can_Kill_It
LEVEL 50 THORNMARCH PRIMAL QUEST- "There is a quest in the main storyline that you get when you get access to Thornmarch named You have selected regicide
It is a reference to a [The Simpsons gag when bart believes Ned Flanders is a murderer and tries to call the police.] (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAsIx3oPY-8) " https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/4ksxzp/littleacknowledged_localization_team_cultural/
CRYSTAL TOWER RAIDS: The Armor of Light set from the Crystal Tower raids is the Warrior of Light's armor from Dissidia. - DarthBadGuy from GamerFaq Forums - https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/678050-final-fantasy-xiv-online-a-realm-reborn/75571407
"ROCK THE CASTRUM" https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Rock_the_Castrum - CHERIE Don't LIKE IT! ROCK THE CASTUM - ROCK THE CAST... WHAT? ROCK THE KASBAH (CASBAH?) - Yea it's a nod to a 1980s song, The Clash: Rock the Casbah.